Thursday, December 4, 2014

Thanksgiving Meal

I focused on keeping my Thanksgiving meal traditional but simple.  I wanted the day to focus on spending time with my parents.  I actually completely forgot to take pictures.  So these pictures are from last year's Thanksgiving meal and from online.  

The appetizer as I was cooking was celery and hummus.  I bought a variety pack with four different hummus: spicy, regular, red pepper, and garlic.  I loved the spicy.  



I made the cranberry sauce the day before.  I didn't want as much to do.  Plus fresh cranberry sauce is always better the next day!  I just followed the recipe on the package: cranberries, water and sugar.


Ever since I was little my family has had mashed turnips.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the yellow turnips like I wanted so I had to settle for the white.  They're still yummy!
Last year I found a recipe and did that.  But this year I just added salt and pepper.  It was simple and a lot better than last year!


Garlic Mashed Potatoes

4 large potatoes
1/2 cup soy milk
3 tbsp. vegan butter
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder (I actually added a whole bunch)
Optional: 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (I actually did this last year and didn't think it was needed)

Peel potatoes and cut into quarter chunks.  Boil until potatoes easily break apart, about 20-25 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a large mixing bowl, smash the potatoes.  As you are mixing the potatoes, start adding the soy milk and butter.  Lastly add the salt and pepper and any other herbs you may like.


Gravy

2 cups soy milk
Sage, Rosemary, Thyme 
Salt and pepper 
(I actually add a lot of seasoning because the soy milk and flour make it sweet.)
1/8 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2-3 tbsp. corn starch or flour

Heat soy milk and butter in large sauce pan.  Add sage, salt, pepper and seasoning to taste.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes.  Add vegetable broth, turn heat off or very low.  In another bowl combine water (1/2 cup) with corn starch or flour to create a roux.  Slowly add roux stirring often until gravy is thick.


You make this like regular stuffing that's boxed.  It was convenient and easy.  But I wasn't a fan of the taste.  I think I'll go back to making vegan stuffing from scratch.


I grilled these faux sausages.  I actually love the Field Roast Mexican Chipotle sausage better.  But I thought these fit the Thanksgiving theme.  My mom wasn't a fan but my dad loved them.



This is a bad picture.  But I made apple crisp for two (my dad doesn't eat dessert).  It was perfect.  There was just enough for two people and no leftovers.



I topped it with Turtle Trails ice cream!

Apple Crisp for Two

1 large apple, diced (I used two and it worked out better)
Juice of a lemon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt

Topping:

1/2 cup oats
2 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tbsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   In a bowl combine diced apple, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  Toss to coat, then divide into individual ramekins.  In another bowl, combine oats, cinnamon and sugar.  Cut in butter with a knife until texture resembles crumbs.  Sprinkle topping over apple mixture.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.


I also roasted parsnips, carrots, and butternut squash in the oven with olive oil, rosemary, sage and thyme.

Everything was delicious.  I think next year will be the same except for homemade stuffing and tofu instead of faux sausage.  It was a great Thanksgiving.

How was your Thanksgiving meal?

"Keep Moving Forward"

2 comments:

  1. Great job Kaylyn! Your Mom said that she enjoyed the feast and the day spent with you!
    Thank you so much for sharing! ")

    ReplyDelete