Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Vegan Ice Cream Nutrition

My mom asked me what the difference in nutrition is between regular dairy ice cream and vegan ice cream.  So I figured I'd share my findings.

I looked at So Delicious Coconut Milk Chocolate ice cream.

 
Calories (based on a 1/2 cup serving): 150
Calories from Fat: 81
Total Fat: 9.0g
Saturated Fat: 8.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 5mg
Carbohydrates: 20.0g
Dietary Fiber: 6.0g
Sugars: 12g
Protein: 1g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 0%
Iron: 10%
 
(This information was acquired through caloriecount.about.com.)
 
And compared it to Ben & Jerry's Chocolate ice cream.
 
Calories (doesn't specify what a serving is): 260
Calories from fat: 144
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 11g
Cholesterol: 50mg
Sodium: 50mg
Carbohydrates: 25g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 22g
Protein: 4g
Vitamin A: 10%
Calcium: 15%
Iron: 6%
 
(This information was acquired through caloriecount.about.com.)
 
In many ways vegan ice cream is healthier than regular dairy ice cream.  It definitely has less calories, cholesterol, sodium, sugar and has more fiber.  Regular dairy ice cream does provide more Vitamin A and Calcium.  But vegan ice cream provides more Iron.
 
You'd have to decide for yourself whether or not it's worth it.  I think it is.  I don't get iron from meat, so I try to eat foods that are supplemented with iron in order to keep my levels at a normal level.  My body has always had issues with ice cream and dairy.  For me, eating an ice cream that doesn't make me nauseous after eating it is a good buy!
 
"Keep Moving Forward"





2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaylyn,

    I love your blog! I just wanted to add that I know the dairy industry adds vitamin A to milk. It's not normally there, so if we were drinking milk from our own cows and making ice cream from it, it wouldn't have vitamin A in it.

    I admire you for going vegan.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I didn't know that.

      Thanks! It's a challenge. I'm not 100% there yet but slowly getting there. =)

      Delete