Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Motivating Thought


My biggest excuse last winter was that it was too cold to go running.  I would do fitness DVDs and other exercises at home.  However, my biggest motivation is going outside to walk or run.  It acts as a meditation for me.  I find it relaxing.  It's also motivating to see experienced runners or parents running with strollers.  I have a life goal to be able to run so when I have kids in the future I can become one of the running parents.  It's empowering.

My excuse was the cold.  This year I'm going to make sure to buy thermal workout pants.  I'm always warm everywhere except my legs.  If I have the right pants, I have no excuse. 

It's summer!  Why am I talking about winter?  Because I still haven't officially started running.  I started about two years ago and was able to jog for half a mile.  Then I used the cold as an excuse and stopped. 

I've been walking and picking up speed in order to build up to running.  I'm at the point where I need to switch.  So why haven't I started?


I'm scared!

That's right.  I'm scared to run.  I want to more than anything.  It's time to drop excuses and face my fears.  Friday morning when I head out for my walk on the bike path, I will run instead.  It won't even have to be long.  As long as I can, walk, and then try again.  Eventually I will be able to run without stopping.



I even joined a running group.  They have various meetings practically everyday hosted by different members.  I need a push in the right direction.  I'd like to meet other runners who will motivate me to keep going when I feel like I cannot go another step.  Conquering this fear will help me conquer others.

Pick a fear and conquer it!  Big or small, go after it with everything you have!  Be brave!

"Keep Moving Forward"

2 comments: