Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Lazy doesn't exist"

I'm a huge fan of the TV show The Biggest Loser.  I don't always watch every season, but when one catches my attention I will watch it from episode one to the grand finale.


 
This past season inspired me because the woman who won was my age and from Chicago.  So if she can do it, so can I! 
 
I do have a hard time starting a workout regimen.  I can plan it and have this amazing plan.  But starting it is always slow.  I try to get friends to workout with me, but a lot of times it doesn't work out.  So I end up struggling alone.  I think I've always struggled going at it alone because I grew up dancing.  I was always in a classes with friends.  I didn't start adding workouts at home until the end of high school.  And you already know my college story (the post prior to this one if you don't).
 
Here I am again, struggling to start my regimen.  I found workouts on Pinterest I really wanted to try and was excited about.  However, I'd just stare at the schedule I wrote and make up an excuse.  "I can start tomorrow."  "It says it starts on Monday and today's Wednesday.  I'll start on Monday."  "I was going to walk to work, that's a workout in itself."  The list goes on.  You probably know what I mean.  You say anything to yourself to excuse the fact that you are procrastinating. 
 
This past Christmas, my dad bought me a Kinect.  I was going to save for it and then use it for exercise.  But my dad was nice enough to save me some time.  He also got me some of the dance games, which are so much fun!  A couple weeks ago, he got me a few games: Star Wars, Harry Potter, and the Biggest Loser (BL) game.  So I decided to give the BL game a shot.  I was still giving excuses for my amazing planned out workout schedules.  So why not?
 


I set up my workout plan on the game and entered my information.  Man!  Is this game honest!  After you put in your height and weight, the shadow of you on the screen will blow up or shrink down to what your body looks like.  My eyes widened as my shadow blew up!  I'm looking forward to shrinking.  =)

You can have Bob or Jillian as trainers.  Based on how well or bad you're doing, they will tell you!  I don't know if any of you watch the show, but I absolutely love Jillian Michaels.  She is tough and really pushes you...not always in a nice way but it gets the job done.  As anyone who was on the show or has watched it can tell you, you do not want Jillian to yell at you. 


During one of my exercises, I was struggling a bit.  So my shadow, who's supposed to be green when I'm doing it correctly, is red which means I'm messing up.  Then I hear Jillian go, "Are you quitting?"  "Sure looks like quitting to me!"  "Push yourself!  Come on!" 

At that point, I'm sweating bullets and I'm like:

you got to be kidding me, Jillian!

You really don't want her to keep yelling at you.  So you persevere.  You work harder...you pull that energy out of who-knows-where.  Then you get your green shadow.  That's when you'll hear Jillian say things like, "Good job!  Keep going just like that!"  Those are the compliments I aim to hear.  When I actually do hear them, I'm like:

HELL YEAH!!  Bring it on Jillian!!!

It's a great game.  Today I played box-fit.  It's kind of like a boxing workout.  It was difficult to get the hang of at first, but then it clicked.  I struggled throughout with some easier parts.  I was soaked by the end of that workout and chugging water!  I can't wait to do it again!!

Maybe I didn't start my scheduled workout.  But I did start being active.  I walk every where I can and even take a deliberate walk by the lake.  I play the BL game and dance games on Kinect.  Maybe after a couple weeks I'll add in my scheduled workout...it is awesome after all.

If you want to be more active, do what you can now.  Walk more.  Do calf raises as you cook dinner.  Take the stairs.  Play Wii or Kinect...an active video game.  Try a workout DVD, something you can do in the privacy of your home...if you're like me and are afraid of the gym. 

As Jillian Michaels says, "Lazy doesn't exist."

Exercise makes you feel good, no matter what it is.  So just get up and move!  I am!

"Keep Moving Forward"

1 comment:

  1. Its always hard to get started but once its in your daily life/routine it's gets easier to do!

    ReplyDelete